Home » about, reflections

8 years and counting…

15 July 2008 292 views 7 Comments

108 years ago, Trish and I were married. We were together for 4 years before that as well. I am the luckiest man on earth, to have run into her at the right time, fallen in love with her and somehow, gotten her to fall in love with me. That first night we met (12 years ago next week, actually) was pure magic. I still remember that first kiss like it was yesterday, where our laughter melted into smiles and a kiss. A week later, I thought that I might end up marrying her.

She’s really brought the best out of me and put me in touch with nature (I was a city boy). I don’t think we’d be on the precipice of realizing the dream of moving abroad if it weren’t for her. It was her intuition about birth and parenting that started our path of questioning the norm, learning as much as we can, and following our hearts. (though perhaps we followed our hearts to each other and everything else followed)

So here we, remembering the day we had to have, to tell the world that we wanted to be with each other forever. I remember how M being born was something that really cemented things, like it was the whole reason we were together. (I actually asked her that first night if she liked kids ;-)) I can’t wait to see what happens next – moving to Costa Rica, realizing our dreams, having more kids and just enjoying life in general. True love rocks.

• Jason said:

Congratulations! I’ll be singing a Night Ranger song in your honor on the way home.

• Arp (author) said:

Thanks! Which song?

• Jason said:

I think it has to be “Reason to Be.”

• Arp (author) said:

Man – I forgot about that one. The first thing that came to mind was the not-quite-appropriate Don’t tell me you love me.

• Summer said:

Awwww, happy anniversary!

Summer’s last blog post..I Love Library Sales

• Susan said:

Congrats! I hope you’re move soon will be to Costa Rica. We can then finally meet! Anyway…if you’re packing those suitcases, it must be getting close. The kids will go through a transition, but it can be a great one.

And Cahuita?? I guess also for me was how was I going to make money? There’s ways, but can tilt the scales. Life can be much cheaper there. When the kids are smaller, I think it is a little bit easier. When they get older, there’s less “to do” but that’s a ways away. The beach is a great playmate.

I’m still in a non/school-homeschooling group and most have extremely alternative lifestyles in the beauty of the country, but a bit closer to the city. Most have animals from horses to goats and really get into a fun lifestyle that way. The beach can be a strong emotional pull. Like you said, it’s all in what we want.

Susan’s last blog post..What’s it like living on the beach?

• Arp (author) said:

Thanks to both of you! We have no idea how soon it might be – we’re just starting to pack up stuff for shipping barrels because things get done slowly. I suppose that maybe we’re getting into the swing of things in CR early?

Money isn’t the major issue – that part’s ok. The high speed internet it requires is another issue altogether. I think a year or so around the CV will be a good start. We’ll move to Cahuita after that. The beach and monkeys are impossible to ignore.